Men's A team 2001/2002 match reports and teams

Sunday September 9th: League Match at Winfarthing 10.30 a.m: League Match No 1

Winfarthing Fighting Cocks          (1)   2       Hethersett Athletic A       (1)  4

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge, Nick Haydon, Chris Bolderstone, Daniel Ganley, Chris Colwell; Rick Smith (sub Paul Baines 80 minutes), Andrew Milne, Chris Smedmor (sub Matt Steward 70 minutes), Steven Beck; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett scorers: Robert Mitchell (22 minutes), Andrew Milne (46 minutes), Steven Beck (86 minutes), Nick Haydon (89 minutes. First goal for club). Winfarthing (35 minutes and 80 minutes)

Hethersett produced an excellent battling performance to beat the only team to complete a league double against them last season.

The visitors began strongly and looked the better side for most of the match, but left it late to ensure victory. Hethersett opened the scoring midway through the first half when Robert Mitchell scored a typical pachers goal after bursting through the middle of the Winfarthing defence. A goalkeeping error gifted Winfarthing an equaliser 10 minutes before the interval.

Hethersett took just 30 seconds to regain the lead after the break when Andrew Milne scored with a fine rising shot into the roof of the net. As both teams tired, it was Winfarthing who began to get on top and they equalised 10 minutes from time. The home side looked the more likely side to win the game, but Hethersett had other ideas with two goals in the last five minutes. The first came from a Steven Beck free-kick and the second saw debutant Nick Haydon bundle in a corner.

It was an excellent start to the season with new signings Haydon and Rick Smith outstanding.       

SUNDAY September 16th: League match at Hethersett 10.30 a.m. League Match No 2

Hethersett Athletic            (0)    0            Attleborough Sunday        (1)    2

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge, Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Chris Smedmor (sub Steve Ashford 70 minutes), Andrew Milne, Rick Smith; Matt Steward, Robert Mitchell.

Attleborough goals - 28 minutes and 78 minutes

Hethersett came up against a very strong and experienced Attleborough side who are new to the league and will take some beating.

Both teams found chances at a premium and a goal in each half was good enough to give the visitors the points. On the balance of play they deserved to win but their play was full of misplaced aggression and verbal back chat.

Hethersett played as well as might be expected but rarely looked like scoring.

Sunday 23rd September: League match at Hethersett: League match No 3

Hethersett Athletic            (3)    9            Dickleburgh Reserves            (0)    0

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Andrew Milne (sub Chris Smedmor 70 minutes), Nick Haydon, Matt Steward, Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett scorers: Andrew Milne (5 minutes), Christian Lacey (8 minutes), Robert Mitchell (37 minutes), Robert Mitchell (60 minutes), Matt Steward (82 minutes), Chris Smedmor (85 minutes), Chris Smedmor (87 minutes), Matt Steward (88 minutes), Christian Lacey (89 minutes).

Hethersett destroyed the opposition with some wonderful one touch football whcih saw them two up within eight minutes and then score an avalanche of goals in the final five minutes of the match.

Dickleburgh never gave up but had no answer to the spedd and skill of the Hethersett side with no fewer than five players on the scoresheet. This display banished all memories of the previous weeks defeat against Attleborough. Every player played their part with the defence rarely troubled and the attack seemingly scoring at will.

Hethersett also had the luxury of missing some easy chances and the visitors were reduced to aimless long balls well before the end.

Sunday 30th September, League match at Lopham. League Match No 4

Lopham United                (2)        3            Hethersett Athletic            (0)        3

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Andrew Milne, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Rick Smith, Matt Steward, Nick Haydon, Chris Smedmor (sub Steven Beck 70 minutes), Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Scorers: Nick Haydon (60 minutes), Robert Mitchell (63 minutes), Christian Lacey (72 minutes). Lopham goals 10 minutes, 42 minutes, 56 minutes.

Hethersett fought back from 3-0 down in a game dominated by the sloping pitch and strong wind.

Hethersett did well in the first half to restrict Lopham to a 2-0 lead and had chances of their own. It was a surprise, however, when they fell even further behind 11 minutes into the second half.

From that point the visitors rallied and two goals in four minutes from Haydon and Mitchell set-up an exciting final 25 minutes. Hethersett deservedly made sure of a point when Christian Lacey converted a penalty after Mitchell had been brought down. Both teams had chances to win the game but a draw was a fair result.

Sunday October 7th. Players Aid Cup First Round.

Hethersett Athletic                (2)        2        Wortham                (1)        1

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Chris Smedmor, Matt Steward, Nick Haydon (sub Andrew Milne 60 mins), Steven Beck; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett scorers: Robert Mitchell 24 mins, Christian Lacey 40 mins. Wortham goal 12 mins.

Hethersett rode their luck to move into the second round of the Players Aid Cup.

It took two horrendous defensive errors from the home side to give Hethersett victory and they were forced to defend for large periods of the second half.

Hethersett dominated the opening exchanges and should have scored early on. Wortham opened the scoring against the run of play. The remainder of the first half was even with chances difficult to come by. Unexpectedly Hethersett found themselves in the lead when the Wortham goalkeeper twice fluffed clearances with Robert Mitchell and then Christian Lacey walking the ball into the net.

Hethersett struggled for large periods of the second half but somehow managed to hold on against wave after wave of Wortham attacks.

Sunday October 14th League match number five

Wortham                (0)        2            Hethersett Athletic            (1)    2

HETHERSETT: Chris Bolderstone; Paul Baines (sub Rick Smith 60 mins), Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Andrew Milne (sub Chris Brownbridge 75 min), Matt Steward, Chris Smedmor; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett scorers: Christian Lacey 25 and 60 minutes. Wortham: 66 and 89 minutes

A late goal forced Hethersett to settle for a point, but it has to be said that the home side didn't deserve to lose. They penned Hethersett back for large periods and the visitors were always struggling to hold onto their lead and only some fine saves from Chris Bolderstone in goal prevented the visitors from scoring in the first half.

Hethersett took the lead after 25 minutes with a sweet finish from Christian Lacey. It was Lacey who made it 2-0 on the hour when he beat the offside trap to run through.

Six minutes later Wortham were back in the match when they headed home from a corner and they made sure of a point deep into injury time. It was a fair result for both teams.

Sunday October 21st. League Match Number Six

Hethersett Athletic                (1)        5        Winfarthing Fighting Cocks            (1)        2

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Andrew Milne, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Chris Smedmor, Matt Steward, Steven Beck, Rick Smith, Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett scorers: Chris Bolderstone 15, Christian Lacey 50 and 85, Rick Smith 70, Robert Mitchell 80. Winfarthing - 6 min, 55 min.

Hethersett completed their first league double of the season, but took some time to overcome a hard Winfarthing side who are much better than their lowly league place suggest. Once again it was a strong finish which saw Hethersett home after Winfarthing had threatened to upset the formbook.

Twin strikers Christian Lacey and Rob Mitchell were again in form with three goals between them and Andrew Milne had a fine game as stand in central defender.

Sunday October 28th League Match Number seven

Hethersett Athletic            (1)        2                Deopham                            (1)        1

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Chris Bolderstone, Nick Haydon, Chris Colwell; R. Smith, C. Smedmor, S. Beck (sub D. Ganley 70 mins), M. Steward; A. Milne, R. Mitchell.

Hethersett scorers: Rob Mitchell 20 minutes, Andrew Milne 63 mins. Deopham: 45 mins

Hethersett grimly clung on to all three points against spirited opposition who should have been killed off much earlier.

Hethersett had a number of chances in the first half but only had a Robert Mitchell goal to show for all their effort and they were caught on the break when Deopham equalised in injury time.

Deopham pressed forward after the break but it was Andrew Milne who scored the winner with an excellent chip shot after 63 minutes.

The win took Hethersett to the top of the league.

Sunday November 4th - Players Aid Trophy First Round

Hethersett Athletic                        (1)        2        Dickleburgh Reserves            (1)        5

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Andrew Milne, Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Paul Baines (sub Chris Colwell 60 mins); Chris Smedmor, Matt Steward, Rick Smith, Steven Beck; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell (sub Chris Boldesrtone 75 mins)

Hethersett scorers: Steven Beck (15 minutes), Matt Steward (66 minutes). Dickleburgh - 41 mins, 60 mins, 82 mins, 83 mins, 85 mins.

Hethersett came up against a much stronger Dickleburgh team than the one they had beaten 9-0 in the league. There were suggestions that, without a game, the visitors fielded a number of first team players and it certainly showed.

Hethersett scored first after 15 minutes through a long shot from Steven Beck. The visitors equalised four minutes from half-time and then took the lead on the hour mark.

Hethersett battled to get on level terms and did so after 66 minutes through Matt Steward only to lose the match in dramatic fashion as Dickleburgh scored three times in a crazy five minute spell to ruin Hethersett's chances in moving forward in the competition in which they reached the final last season.

SUNDAY NOVEMBER 11th - League match

Rickinghall Reserves                    (0)        1            Hethersett Athletic A             (0)        0

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Andrew Milne (sub Paul Baines 65 minutes), Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Chris Colwell; Chris Smedmor (sub Chris Bolderstone 75 minutes), Steven Beck, Matt Steward, Rick Smith; Robert Mitchell, Christian Lacey

Rickinghall goal: 62 minutes

Hethersett were desperately unlucky not to take at least a point from a game they dominated for long periods.

Hethersett played some good football but hit the post twice, hit the bar with the final kick of the game and had two shots hacked off the line. The home team battled away well and came into the game in the second half and scored the only goal from a breakaway.

Overall it was an excellent game played in fine spirit between two teams attempting to play open attacking football.

Sunday November 18th - League match

White Hart Reserves                (0)        0                Hethersett Athletic A            (1)            3

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines (sub Rick Smith 70 mins), Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Chris Smedmor, Andrew Milne (sub Robert Mitchell 65 mins), Nick Haydon; Christian Lacey, Matt Steward.

Hethersett Goals: Chris Smedmor 15 mins, 55 mins, Steven Beck 62 mins.

Hethersett got their title hopes back on track with a less than convincing display against bottom club White Hart. Hethersett could and should have scored many more goals but were guilty of some woeful fisnishing in the second half, squandering numerous chances.

It took them 15 minutes to open the scoring with a good shot on the turn from Chris Smedmor. Smedmor made it 2-0 after 55 minutes with another sharp finish and Steven Beck was fortunate when the goalkeeper dropped a rather speculative shot into his own net. Hethersett will need to play better than this if they are to have any chance of winning the league.

Sunday November 25th - League match

Palgrave                            (0)            1                Hethersett Athletic A            (1)            6

HETHERSETT: Chris Bolderstone; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Chris Colwell (sub Chris Smedmor 75 minutes), Andrew Milne (sub Chris Brownbridge 83 minutes); Matt Steward, Steven Beck, Rick Smith; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell

Hethersett Goals: Robert Mitchell 20 mins, 71 min, 87 mins, Christian Lacey 60 mins, 70 mins, Andrew Milne 51 mins. Palgrave 52 mins.

Hethersett produced their best performance for many seasons when they visited and destoryed top of the table Palgrave.

Before the match, Palgrave were unbeaten at home in the league with six wins and a draw. They were no match, however, for the direct play of Hethersett.

The first 20 minutes were fairly even before Robert Mitchell broke the deadline. The second half was full of goals with Andy Milne making 2-0 before Palgrave pulled one back a minute later.

From that point it was all Hethersett as they produced a sparkling display of open football which saw Mitchell score twice to complete a hat-trick and fellow striker Christian Lacey weighed in with two fine goals.

It was a stunning performance from Hethersett with every player a star.

Sunday December 2nd - Players Aid Cup Second Round

Hethersett Athletic            (1)        2            Lopham United            (0)        2

Lopham won 4-3 after extra-time

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Andrew Milne, Chris Smedmor (sub Craig Middleton-Keen 75 minutes), Steven Beck (sub Steven Ashford 80 minutes), Rick Smith; Matthew Steward, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Rick Smith 30 minutes, Matt Steward 75 minutes, Andrew Milne 108 minutes. Lopham goals 82 minutes, 89 minutes, 105 minutes, 109 minutes

Hethersett let a two goal lead slip as they were dumped out of the Players Aid Cup.

Overall Lopham probably deserved to win, but Hethersett failed to hold onto a two goal lead built up in the first 75 minutes thanks to a header from a corner from Rick Smith and a Matt Steward strike.

With the hard work done, Hethersett sat back and Lopham struck twice to take the game into extra time. A flurry of goals in the second half of extra time made for an exciting finish with Lopham making it 3-2 before Andrew Milne bundled the ball over the line to make it 3-3.

Hethersett should have settled for penalties, but pushed forward for the equaliser, only to concede the winner seconds from the end.

Sunday December 9th - League Match No 11

Hethersett Athletic                (2)        3            Lopham United            (2)        2

HETHERSETT: C. Brownbridge; P. Baines, D. Ganley, C. Bolderstone, C. Colwell; R. Smith (sub J. Curson 70 mins), A. Milne, C. Smedmor (sub S. Beck 50 mins), M. Steward; C. Lacey, R. Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Rob Mitchell 10 and 29 minutes, Christian Lacey 69 mins. Lopham nine minutes and 28 minutes

Hethersett avenged the previous week's cup defeat and kept their league title hopes alive despite having to struggle again.

In the first half Hethersett twice came from behind, but missed numerous easy chances. Lopham twice took the lead after nine and 28 minutes only for Hethersett to hit back within a minute each time through two Rob Mitchell goals.

Hethersett were the stronger team throughout the second half but only had the one goal to show for their efforts through Christian Lacey. If Hethersett are to stand any chance of gaining promotion they must make the most of their chances.

Sunday December 16th - League match No 12

Hethersett Athletic                (1)                2            Rickinghall Reserves            (1)            2

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Nick Haydon, Daniel Ganley, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Andrew Milne (sub Matt Steward 55 minutes), Chris Smedmor, Rick Smith; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Chris Smedmor 19 minutes, Steven Beck 89 minutes. Rickinghall 43 minutes and 53 minutes.

Hethersett rode their luck but had to be content with a point which kept them at the top of the league.

Rickinghall were arguably the better side and Hethersett struggled to find a way through the visitors defence.

Hethersett took the lead with a well placed shot from Chris Smedmor after 19 minutes. Towards the end of the half Hethersett found themselves pinned back for large periods and it was no surprise when Rickinghall scored direct from a corner two minutes before half-time.

The visitors took the lead eight minutes into the second half. As the half wore on Hethersett began to come back into the match and equalised through Steven Beck a minute from time after good work from Christian Lacey and Rob Mitchell.

Sunday January 13th League Match No 13

Dickleburgh Reserves                (0)        1            Hethersett Athletic            (4)            6

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Nick Haydon, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Rick Smith, Andrew Milne, Matt Steward (sub Daniel Ganley 70 minutes); Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Rick Smith (6 mins), Matt Steward (14 mins), own goal (18 mins), Christian Lacey (31 mins), Robert Mitchell (47 mins), Andrew Milne (83 mins). Dickleburgh: 68 mins

Hethersett returned to action after the Christmas and New Year break and were comfortable winners against second from bottom Dickleburgh.

Hethersett needed the three points to make sure of staying top of the league and there was never really any doubt of them achieving their aim. Rick Smith opened the scoring when he slid home a Robert Mitchell centre. By half-time Hethersett were four goals up following strikes from Matt Steward and Christian Lacey and an own goal.

The visitors found the going more difficult going uphill after the break but added two more through Robert Mitchell and Andrew Milne. Dickleburgh scored a consolation goal after 68 minutes.

Sunday January 20th - League Match No 14

Hethersett Athletic A             (2)            2            Whita Hart Reserves            (0)        0

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Chris Colwell; Andrew Milne (sub Nick Haydon 68 mins), Rick Smith, Matt Steward, Chris Smedmor (sub Robert Mitchell 65 min), Christian Lacey, Steven Beck (sub Darren Medler 75 mins).

Hethersett goals: Rick Smith (4 mins), Chris Smedmor (40 mins)

Hethersett found bottom placed White Hart a hard nut to crack in difficult weather conditions. Play was dominated by a strong wind. The home team had the wind advantage in the first half and took the lead after just four minutes with a scrambled Rick Smith goal.

Chris Smedmor made it 2-0 close to half-time when he scrambled the ball home after a melee in the goalmouth.

After the break, Hethersett battled well against the wind and had several clear cut chances but failed to convert any. White Hart rarely threatened against a solid Hethersett defence and keeper Chris Brownbridge wasn't really troubled.

Sunday January 27th - League Match No 15

Hethersett Athletic A                (0)            1            Palgrave                (0)            2

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Chris Bolderstone, Andrew Milne, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck, Matt Steward, Robert Mitchell, Chris Smedmor (sub Adie Moore 30 minutes); Christian Lacey.

Hethersett goal: Matt Steward 67 min. Palgrave goals: 77min, 88 min

Hethersett were desperately unlucky to lose this top of the table clash after looking the better team for large parts of the game.

Playing five in defence and four in midfield, Hethersett stifled their opponents early on and then fashioned out a number of first half chances but failed to make the most of them.

Hethersett continued to be in command after the break although Palgrave still looked strong and determined. Hethersett deservedly took the lead after 67 minutes with one of their best goals of the season. Steven Beck released Christian Lacey on the right and his whipped in centre was met with a glancing header by Matt Steward who had run fully 50 yards to get on the end of the cross.

Sadly Hethersett found themselves pinned back with Chris Smedmor and Chris Bolderstone suffering injuries. Reserve team player Adie Moore came on for Smedmor to make his debut for the team. One of the home team's only defensive lapses of the morning allowed Palgrave to equalise after 77 minutes and the visitors broke away two minutes from time to score a rather undeserved winner.

Sunday February 3rd - League Match No 16

Hethersett Athletic                    (1)            2                Wortham                (0)            1

Hethersett: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Andrew Milne, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck (sub Simon Wishart 65 minutes), Matt Steward, Rick Smith, Chris Bolderstone; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Christian Lacey 28 minutes, Daniel Ganley 87 minutes. Wortham: 75 minutes.

For the second week running there was a winning goal in the last five minutes of a match at the Memorial Playing Field - this time for Hethersett.

In a tough and uncompromising match, Hethersett found it difficult to handle the strong arm and at times dubious tactics of the visitors who seemed more intent on spoiling the game than playing football.

Hethersett failed to make the most of wind advantage in the first half and only had one goal to show with Christian Lacey adding a fine finish to a Steven Beck centre.

Wortham came more and more into the game and it was no surprise when they equalised after 75 minutes. Wortham could have gone on to win the game, but it was the home side who made sure of all three points with a fine goal from Daniel Ganley who smashed home from 25 yards after the visitors had failed to clear a corner just three minutes from the end. 

There were some unsavoury incidents at the final whistle as Wortham allowed their frustrations to boil over. Hethersett did well to keep their cool in a match where finding their top form proved elusive.

Sunday February 10th - League match Number 17

Deopham                    (0)            1                Hethersett Athletic                (1)        3

Hethersett: Chris Brownbridge; Andrew Milne (sub Paul Baines 72 minutes), Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck (sub Adie Moore 76 minutes), Matt Steward, Rick Smith, Chris Bolderstone; Christian Lacey, Rob Mitchell.

Hethersett goals: Daniel Ganley 43 minutes, Rick Smith 61 minutes, Rob Mitchell 72 minutes. Deopham: Penalty 75 minutes

Hethersett put in one of their best performances of the season to complete the double over Deopham, assure themselves of at least third place in the league and keep their hopes of promotion alive.

This was the 17th of their 18 matches and now all they can do is sit and wait as teams below them in the league catch up on games in hand.

Hethersett had 70% of this game and thoroughly deserved to take all three points. After a hesitant opening five minutes, they settled down to dominate the first half but had little to show for their territorial advantage. They were awarded a penalty after 27 minutes when Rob Mitchell was brought down unnecessarily.

Mitchell saw his spot kick well saved by the Deopham 'keeper, but the referee ordered the kick to be retaken due to incroachment by the Deopham players. This time Christian Lacey's spot kick hit the post and was scrambled clear.

Hethersett continued to dominate and scored the goal they richly deserved two minutes from half-time with a stooping header from Daniel Ganley.

Hethersett continued on top after the break and Rick Smith fired home after a brave head on from Lacey and then Mitchell scored a picture book goal when he headed home a Steward cross.

Hethersett had a few anxious moments and conceded a penalty after 75 minutes when Nick Haydon brought down an attacker. The visitors dealt comfortably with Deopham's attacks in the last 15 minutes and went close to adding to their lead.

SUNDAY February 24th - Friendly match

Hethersett Athletic Firsts        (2)        5            Hethersett Athletic A     (1)    1

ATHLETIC A: Chris Brownbridge, Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Andrew Milne, Steven Beck, Matt Steward, Rick Smith, Chris Bolderstone, Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell, Simon Wishart.

Hethersett A played a friendly against the club's first team who are currently top of Division 2 of the Norwich Sunday League.

The A team gave as good as they got in the first half and created a number of chances against their illustrious opponents. The first team opened the scoring after five minutes, but the A side hit back immediately with a goal from Christian Lacey a minute later.

The firsts took the lead a minute from half-time and then turned on the style after the break with three second half goals as the A side struggled to come to terms with their pace. Overall it was a good run out for the A team who now embark on a series of Invitation Cup matches over the next two months. They also need a point from their final league match of the season against Attleborough to make sure of finishing in runners-up slot in the league.

March 3rd - Invitation Cup Match 1

Hethersett A                    (1)            1            Deopham                (1)        2

ATHLETIC A: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Nick Haydon, Chris Colwell; Chris Bolderstone, Matt Steward, Steven Beck (Sub Simon Wishart 70 minutes), Adrian Moore; Andrew Milne, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett goal: Robert Mitchell 45 minutes; Deopham 20 mins, 80 mins

Hethersett disappointed in their opening Invitation Cup match. With Christian Lacey unavailable through illness and Rick Smith also out, a number of players found themselves in unaccustomed positions against a strong Deopham side who gained revenge for two league defeats.

Hethersett's only goal came just before half-time from top scorer Robert Mitchell.

March 10th - Invitation Cup Match 2

Diss Greyhound            (2)                2                Hethersett A            (2)            4

ATHLETIC A: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Andrew Milne, Chris Colwell; Rick Smith (sub Chris Bolderstone 45 mins), Matt Steward, Adie Moore (sub Simon Wishart 70 minutes), Steven Beck; Christian Lacey, Rob Mitchell

Hethersett Goals: Robert Mitchell 10 min, Christian Lacey 12 min, Steven Beck 87 min, Rob Mitchell 89 mins. Diss Greyhound - 30 min, 39 min

Hethersett scored their first win in the Invitation Cup in a match spoiled by a high wind and bumpy pitch.

Playing against the wind in the first half, Hethersett hit a golden patch early on with fine goals from Rob Mitchell and Christian Lacey. Diss came back into the game and Hethersett were rocked by two goals in the last third of the half.

After the break, Hethersett failed to make the most of the wind advantage until the final four minutes when a strong run and shot from Steven Beck and a second from Mitchell made sure of the points.

March 24th - Friendly

Hethersett A                    3            Hethersett Under-16s            3

Athletic A had an easy-going friendly against the club's under-16s. In a match played in good spirit, a number of players changed sides. A's goals came from Matt Steward, Chris Steward and.

March 31st - League Match No 18

Attleborough                (1)        1            Hethersett A            (1)            1

ATHLETIC A - Chris Brownbridge, Chris Colwell, Nick Haydon (sub Simon Wishart 75 minutes), Daniel Ganley, Paul Baines; Andrew Milne, Steven Beck, Rick Smith, Matt Steward; Robert Mitchell (Craig Middleton-Keen 60 minutes), Christian Lacey.

Hethersett Goal - Rob Mitchell (15 minutes) - Attleborough 35 minutes

With both teams certain of promotion to Division Two this game was a close and interesting affair which also saw the presentation of championship trophies to Attleborough and deserved league runners-up trophies to Hethersett.

Hethersett opened strongly and took the lead after 15 minutes through Rob Mitchell. They were the better team in the first half, although Attleborough equalised 10 minutes from half-time.

The second half was even and Hethersett became only the second team to take a league point off Attleborough this season.

April 7th -INVITATION CUP match 3 

Hethersett Athletic A            (3)            6            Mettingham            (1)            1

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge: Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Andrew Milne, Chris Colwell; Steven Beck (sub Aide Moore 57 mins), Matt Steward, Chris Steward, James Curson; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Christian Lacey 7 mins, Rob Mitchell 10 mins, James Curson 45 mins, Rob Mitchell 76 mins, Matt Steward 85 mins, Christian Lacey 89 mins. Mettingham - 3 mins.

Hethersett got their Invitation Cup campaign on the right track when they beat a second team from a higher division.

Hethersett dominated this game after going behind after just three minutes. Christian Lacey and Robert Mitchell both scored twice to continue their individual battle for top scorer and others came from James Curson and Matt Steward.

The win could have been even more emphatic if Hethersett had taken all their chances. It puts them in good shape, however, for a crunch home tie against Palgrave next week.

April 14th - INVITATION CUP match 4

Hethersett Athletic A            (3)            3            Palgrave                (4)            5

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge; Paul Baines (sub Chris Bolderstone 65 mins), Daniel Ganley, Andrew Milne, Chris Colwell; Matt Steward, Chris Steward, Adie Moore (sub Nick Haydon 70 minutes), Steven Beck; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

HETHERSETT GOALS: Robert Mitchell 7 mins, Christian Lacey 31 mins, Andrew Milne 36 mins. PALGRAVE - 1 min, 9 mins, 26 mins, 43 mins, 80 mins.

Hethersett's chances of reaching the final of the Invitation Cup virtually disappeared as they lost at home to Palgrave for the second time this season. Too many defensive mistakes gave the home side a mountain to climb and despite pulling the scoreline back to 3-3 after being 3-1 down at one stage, the challenge proved too much for them.

Palgrave took the lead in the first minute when slack defending allowed them to nip in. Six minutes later, Hethersett were level with one of their best goals of the season. A pin-point pass from Chris Steward found Steven Beck and his centre was met by Robert Mitchell.

Two more defensive errors allowed Palgrave to ghost into a 3-1 lead before Hethersett hit form with good goals from Christian Lacey and Andrew Milne to make it 3-3. Instead of taking stock, Hethersett continued to press forward and were again exposed at the back as Palgrave regained the league just before half-time.

The first half was full of goals. After the break, however, chances were fewer. Hethersett pushed forward for the equaliser and were again caught on the break after 80 minutes as Palgrave wrapped up the points.


Ditchingham Rovers                    (0)            1            Hethersett Athletic A            (0)        2

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge: Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Andrew Milne, Chris Colwell: Matthew Steward, Aide Moore (sub Rick Smith 61 mins), Steven Beck, Chris Bolderstone: Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell (sub Nick Haydon 61 minutes).

Hethersett Goals: Christian Lacey (57 mins), Nick Haydon (88 mins). Ditchingham 75 mins.

Hethersett returned to winning ways as they made it a hat-trick of wins against sides from the division above them.

It was a typical end of season game on a very hard pitch with the ball difficult to control. There were few chances in a goalless first half. Hethersett opened the scoring after 57 minutes when Christian Lacey rounded off a sharp three man move.

Hethersett then allowed the home side to dominate and it was no surprise when they equalised after 75 minutes. A draw would probably have been a fair result but Hethersett had other ideas and finished strongly with substitute Nick Haydon latching onto a through to slip past the keeper to ensure victory.


Hethersett Athletic A                (4)            5                Lopham            (0)        0

HETHERSETT: Chris Brownbridge (sub Chris Colwell 66 mins); Paul Baines, Daniel Ganley, Andrew Milne, Nick Haydon; Matt Steward, Steven Beck, Chris Bolderstone, Aide Moore; Christian Lacey, Robert Mitchell.

Hethersett Goals: Matt Steward (4 mins), Rob Mitchell (35 mins), Steven Beck (42 mins), Aide Moore (45 mins), Nick Haydon (70 mins)

Hethersett brought their season to a close with a fine all-round team performance against a side they had struggled to beat on three other occasions.

With a strong wind advantage in the first half, Hethersett played some delightful and direct football and it took just four minutes for man of the match Matt Steward to weave his way through to score from close range.

Hethersett hit a golden patch in the last 10 minutes of the first half with Rob Mitchell scoring with a delightful chip, Steven Beck ramming a shot home off the underside of the bar and Aide Moore scoring his first goal for the side on the stroke of half-time.

Despite playing against the wind after the break, Hethersett continued to dominate and Nick Haydon made it a nap hand when he fired through a ruck of players after 70 minutes. The game brought the curtain down on a highly successful season which saw the team gain promotion and lose just one game away from home.